Wednesday 25 March 2009

Dear Alchemist Finklestein

Yet another day on Troll Patrol, Kam was trying to up his standing with those Argent Crusaders. I find the Alchemist Finklestein quest the hardest by far, my memory is shot and I usually end up shouting at the screen "oh f*** it's on the other side!". For those who have not done it, you need to find ingredients from 7 racks and various boxes, across 2 rooms. You get 30 seconds to find each one, but some ingredients are only in one room and in 1 or 2 places, so if you go to the wrong room and spend too long looking, game over man.

I wondered if I could write a mod which remembers the locations of the ingredients, then when Finklestein shouts out which he needs, tell me in some way. That would be awesome, in the same way the Ogri'lazy mod was awesomely cheat-tastic for the Ogri'la dailies.

Looks like some people have already written some mods for me. EasySerum does precisely what I've described, sticking a good description of where the ingredient is into the chat frame. It looks like the case number it puts out is going clockwise from the entrance to each room, so for the left room, case 2 is the 2nd one clockwise from the entrance, not the 2nd closest one to Finklestein.

Combine that with the Finklestein daily serum quest helper mod, and you also get a minimap spot for where the ingredient is, and when you mouse over it you get a useful ping on the screen.

So you could memorise where each and every ingredient is, then get really good at Troll Patrol: The Alchemist's Apprentice and always get your Congratulations!... or use these two mods and stop tearing your hair out!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this! That quest is easily my most hated daily! I know I spend at least 15-20 minutes on it each time, I'm sure I'm not the only one. Thanks again!

© 2008, 2009 FlameShock. All Rights Reserved.